ietf-nntp My notes from the NNTP WG meeting at the 37thIETF

Jack De Winter jack at wildbear.on.ca
Sun Jan 5 12:36:22 PST 1997

Um, I already have a draft out for AUTHSASL, and there has been talk
about merging that into the spec, as that was the intention of the
wording that NNTP use the same mechanism as IMAP.

However, a couple of people have sent me questions on the draft.
The thing that keeps on creeping up, and I mentioned this when
I first brought it up, is what to do with existing implementations
that do something else with it.  One gent suggested that we keep
it as an extension, but make it change the results for AUTHINFO GENERIC.

If people can give me input on this, I can get this finished and out
of the way... but it seems pointless to write another draft on this
when there is already one out there that (as soon as I incorporate
John Meyers latest changes from his SASL spec into the NNTP-AUTHSASL/
AUTHINFO draft) works with the existing infrastructure.

If anyone has any problems with that statement, please talk to me
about it.  I would rather talk with someone and discuss their problems
then have 2 or 3 competing authentication protocols when SASL can
handle as many as we need.

regards,
Jack