ietf-nntp LIST EXTENSION response 205 vs 215

David Johnson (Exchange) djohnson at Exchange.Microsoft.com
Wed Feb 19 21:53:48 PST 1997

Yes, the current practices draft should correctly document the responses
for the widely used LIST commands -- there is no point breaking existing
implementations to fix them. But it should NOT state that LIST
EXTENSIONS returns 215. This command does not fall under "current
practice" and has been documented from the start as returning response
205. Response 205 is what we have implemented in Exchange server.

In any case, clients should be designed so they do not attempt to
interpret the 2nd digit. I hope this has been fixed in the latest
Communicator beta.

- david