ietf-nntp LIST EXTENSION response 205 vs 215

Stan Barber sob at academ.com
Thu Feb 13 19:45:45 PST 1997

> At 02:28 PM 2/13/97 -0500, der Mouse wrote:
>
> >I would prefer 205.  If all the other LIST subcommands return 215,
> >presumably this is because they all refer to newsgroup selection.
>
> Ah, no, that would be false.
>
> LIST OVERVIEW.FMT, LIST DISTRIBUTIONS, and the new LIST MOTD have
> nothing to do with "newsgroup selection", which was my point.

These are part of the "current practices" not necessarily the "correct
practices" document. It can also be argued that distributions and overview.fmt
do relate to newsgroups since they are related to information returned from
newsgroup articles. LIST EXTENSIONS is about the capabilities of a server,
not the newsgroups, their distributions or the format of data about
newsgroups and articles in the overview database.

Stan   | Academ Consulting Services        |internet: sob at academ.com
Olan   | For more info on academ, see this |uucp: {mcsun|amdahl}!academ!sob
Barber | URL- http://www.academ.com/academ |Opinions expressed are only mine.