ietf-nntp NEWNEWS deprecation.

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Fri Dec 5 01:57:33 PST 1997

Vincent Archer said:
> Tell me, if I am fetching news off demon, what would be faster for me?
> Getting NEWNEWS over twenty newsgroups, receiving 1000 Message-Ids, then
> asking 1000 (since I'm reading from demon, none of those Message-Ids are
> already present here - they are all new) ARTICLE <some-large-id>? Or
> doing twenty "GROUP x", intersped with 1000 "ARTICLE number". Oh yes, and
> using the Xref provided in the headers to mark cross-posts in advance.

The differences there are trivial. I was thinking of the person that
suggested you use XOVER to determine what articles are less than 3 days
old or whatever.

> Pipeline of ARTICLE commands (in which I request the next article before the
> previous has even begun to arrive) is broken only at the "GROUP x" switching,

With NEWNEWS using multiple NEWNEWS commands, pipelining can be done
without even breaking at the NEWNEWS command.

> instead of an idealised view that would brand all
> servers that have NEWNEWS disabled evil spawns of satan and pure crap that
> should be eradicated from networld.

Why ? Since that's clearly the case :-)

--
Clive D.W. Feather     | Work:  <clive at demon.net>  | Tel: +44 181 371 1138