ietf-nntp "Common NNTP Extensions" document updated

Ade Lovett ade at demon.net
Thu Dec 4 06:51:22 PST 1997

James A. Brister writes:

>On Wed, 3 Dec 1997 14:38:08 +0000 (GMT)  "Clive D.W. Feather" wrote:
>
>> We don't use INN in this part of the system, and I doubt our code would be
>> of much use to anyone else.
>>
>> I think the chief developer lurks on this list, and he may well comment
>> himself.
>
>I thought I did already, but anyway.... I think NEWNEWS is useful. INN will
>get a better implementation, but not in time for Stan's documents.

I think Clive was actually talking about me, James..  our transport
system does (amongst other things) provide for an optimised NEWNEWS
method, but the code has digressed so much from stock-standard INN
(read, it's a complete ground-up rewrite), that it's not going to
be easy to provide a patch.

I'm pretty sure I sent you the concepts though in a private email
a while back whilst we were discussing other aspects of INN performance,
I can resend if necessary.

-aDe

--
Ade Lovett, Demon Internet, Austin, Texas.