ietf-nntp NEWNEWS deprecation.

Ade Lovett ade at demon.net
Thu Dec 4 06:48:37 PST 1997

James A. Brister writes:

>On Thu, 4 Dec 1997 08:35:46 +0000 (GMT)  "Clive D.W. Feather" wrote:
>> Anti-NEWNEWS:
>>     INN is crap.
>
>That's not really necessary, is it?

Probably not.  A better wording would be:

	"The algorithm used for NEWNEWS in both INN and the reference
	 implementation is something of a resource pig, and as such,
	 administrators of those sites would really rather lose
	 the command, in the absence of a better way..."

Saying that a concept should be deprecated simply because one particular
implementation sucks is just plain wrong.  That's the raison d'etre
for software engineers.  I just thought of a good analogy between
this and gopher/www, but I think this thread has already had it's
share of religion :)

-aDe

--
Ade Lovett, Demon Internet, Austin, Texas.