NEWNEWS (was Re: ietf-nntp "Common NNTP Extensions" document updated)

Stan Barber sob at academ.com
Thu Dec 4 00:58:25 PST 1997

> Stan Barber said:
> > Unless there is heavy need for futher revisions, I would expect the "common
> > practices" draft to be forwarded to the AD's/IESG after IETF 40. Give that
> > there have been no call for substantial changes to the draft for the last
> > three months, I don't anticipate any substantial objection about moving the
> > draft forward at that time.
>
> Isn't "remove NEWNEWS" a substantial change ?

There is no sentiment that I am aware of to remove NEWNEWS from the
"common practices" draft. All I have seen is a suggetion to add some text
indicating that many site have this command administratively disabled. This
is not a substantial change.

I think you are confusing the "common practices" draft with the RFC977bis
draft. I have no doubt that there will be issues that will keep the RFC977bis
draft from moving forward immediately after IETF 40. I'd like to be
proven wrong about this, but I don't think I will be.

Stan   | Academ Consulting Services        |internet: sob at academ.com
Olan   | For more info on academ, see this |uucp: {mcsun|amdahl}!academ!sob
Barber | URL- http://www.academ.com/academ |Opinions expressed are only mine.