ietf-nntp "Common NNTP Extensions" document updated

Edward S. Marshall emarshal at xnet.com
Wed Dec 3 08:28:15 PST 1997

On Tue, 2 Dec 1997, Jack De Winter wrote:
> Not arguing about how to do it, but can you give a couple of good reasons
> why we might want to get the last <x> amount of time of news from a
> newsgroup?

Ease of administration in a customer setting. Instead of providing an
ISP-dictated feed over a static link, NEWNEWS makes it possible for a feed
provider to say "these are the groups you are allowed to retrieve, go
ahead and pull whatever you want from them", and the customer now has the
freedom to make adjustments in real time to their own feed, eliminating
the overhead of maintainance by the provider, and giving more control to
the customer. Plus, the need for a static link is eliminated, making ISDN
(or even analog dialup) news feeds a possibility without needing to bring
UUCP into the picture (or some other batching scheme).

I made this point on the inn-workers list: IHAVE is great for peering. But
for a provider/customer situation, NEWNEWS is much more appropriate.

--
| Edward S. Marshall <emarshal at xnet.com> | Systems/Network Administrator,     |