NEWNEWS (was Re: ietf-nntp "Common NNTP Extensions" document updated)

Petter Nilsen pettern at thule.no
Tue Dec 2 14:20:23 PST 1997

In article <3482EA65.41365150 at spinne.com>, jeff.garzik at spinne.com (Jeff
Garzik) wrote:

> The topic here (at least in the subject) is common practices.  Are you
> denying that a common practice among many admins is to disable NEWNEWS?

Stop a minute and ask what causes "most admins to disable NEWNEWS"?  Let me
make another statement: Most admins don't care about NEWNEWS or not until
someone complains. And since INN 1.5 and higher has it disabled in the default
configuration, most admins have it disabled, but not BY CHOICE.  I tend to
agree with other people here that just because INN's implemenation of NEWNEWS
sucks doesn't mean a useful and well established command should be remove or
made optional.

--
\\\\\\   Petter Nilsen - IRC: Mitchman - mailto:pettern at thule.no   |\