ietf-nntp Re: the NEWNEWS command

Jeff Garzik jeff.garzik at spinne.com
Mon Dec 1 08:51:54 PST 1997

Brian Kantor wrote:
> A decade ago when we wrote RFC977, we envisioned that 'NEWNEWS' would be
> implemented by simply reading forward in the history file until the
> specified datestamp was found, then listing articles that matched the
> patterns from there to EOF.

> Of course news is MUCH bigger now than then, but it's still a reasonable
> way to do NEWNEWS.

Another server on ftp.uu.net bsearches the history file for the start
daate, which could be applied to INN as well.

I don't think anyone disagrees it *can* be implemented, and implemented
well.
--
Jeff Garzik			    Typhoon, Cyclone, Diablo, and INN
Spinne USENET News Service	        Fast and efficient news feeds