ietf-nntp "Common NNTP Extensions" document updated

Stan Barber sob at academ.com
Mon Dec 1 07:44:25 PST 1997

> What I'm saying (and no more) is that, if the spec require a server to
> implement NEWNEWS to conform, then we'll have lots of non-compliant
> servers, and people will still refuse to have NEWNEWS enabled on their
> site.

Having NEWNEWS admnistratively disabled is different that server implementors
not implementing it. I think that having the administrative capability to
disable NEWNEWS is something that can be accomodated in the RFC977bis
document, but making it optional for implementors to implement is not
a good idea.

> I ask again: Do we want the RFC to reflect actual use, or an ideal net?

Which RFC are you talking about? There are two drafts out right now. The
"current practices" and the "RFC976bis". The Subject line you are responding
to is concerning the "current practices" document.
Stan   | Academ Consulting Services        |internet: sob at academ.com
Olan   | For more info on academ, see this |uucp: {mcsun|amdahl}!academ!sob
Barber | URL- http://www.academ.com/academ |Opinions expressed are only mine.