ietf-nntp "Common NNTP Extensions" document updated

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Mon Dec 1 01:24:54 PST 1997

Stan Barber said:
> The new draft is at this URL:
> 	ftp://ftp.academ.com/pub/nntp/ietf/nntp-common-practices.txt

Two comments:

| 1.4.1  The XREPLIC command
|
|     XREPLIC ggg:nnn[,ggg:nnn...]
|
|     The XREPLIC command makes is possible to exactly duplicate

That should be "makes it".

| 4.3 Article Numbering
|
|     RFC977 does not directly address the rules concerning articles
|     number. However, the current practice is simple: article numbers
|     are monotonically increasing, articles may disappear, and therefore
|     the high and low water marks returned in a GROUP command should be
|     treated as maximum minima, and minimum maxima, respectively.

I don't really think this is either enough or clear. May I suggest:

    RFC977 does not directly address the rules concerning articles number,
    but the current practice is simple. New articles have monotonically
    increasing numbers within a group, and articles may disappear or be
    reinstated at any time (and thus between any two commands). The low
    water mark returned in a GROUP command is an absolute minimum (though
    that article might not exist), but there could be articles above the
    high water mark (that have appeared since the GROUP command was
    issued), and so it should be treated as advisory only. Similarly,
    the results of sequences of NEXT and LAST commands might not be
    consistent.

--
Clive D.W. Feather     | Work:  <clive at demon.net>  | Tel: +44 181 371 1138
Director of            | Home:  <clive at davros.org> | Fax: +44 181 371 1037