ietf-nntp New Chairs for NNTPEXT

Mario Valente mvalente at esoterica.pt
Thu Aug 7 05:52:06 PDT 1997

>>  related to an idea of mine on the redesign of NNTP and Usenet: currently
>>  the RFC states that for a SENDME or ARTICLE request, the *entire* article
>>  should be sent. I have this idea whereby only the headers would be sent
>>  and stored and the body of the articles requested on demand. This would
>>  lead to changes in both NNTP and probably in the format of the messages
>>  themselves.
>>

>Somone once mentioned to me that they consider one of the strengths of
>NNTP/Usenet is that there is never just one copy of something. It makes
>it alot harder for the Scientologists when they need to sue 10,000
>admins to remove content.

  There wouldnt be a single copy of an article. There would be a single
 copy if no one in all  the world decided to read that article and so that
 article would only reside on the server where it was posted; every other
 server would only have the headers. If *someone* anywhere in the world
 read that article, there would be two copies: one on the server where the
 message was posted and one on the server that requested it; an N copies
 for each N servers that requested it.

  C U!

    MV