ietf-nntp New Chairs for NNTPEXT

Mario Valente mvalente at esoterica.pt
Tue Aug 5 07:36:04 PDT 1997

At 17:56 04-08-1997 -0400, Keith Moore wrote:
>I'm pleased to announce that Stan Barber and Ned Freed have agreed to
>take over as co-chairs for NNTPEXT.  Their appointment takes effect
>immediately.
>
>Please welcome them!

  My welcome to both of them and may I take the opportunity to
 present myself.

  I'm newmaster at Esoterica, a portuguese ISP, and I'm participating
 in both this WG to redefine RFC977 and in WG to redefine RFC1036

  Since I only recently joined the mailing list I would like to pose a
question,
 related to an idea of mine on the redesign of NNTP and Usenet: currently
 the RFC states that for a SENDME or ARTICLE request, the *entire* article
 should be sent. I have this idea whereby only the headers would be sent
 and stored and the body of the articles requested on demand. This would
 lead to changes in both NNTP and probably in the format of the messages
 themselves.

  Has this been discussed already ? If yes under what subject, since I was
 unable to find any info on the mailing list archive ?

  If needed I can expose further on my idea. Its quite simple in RFC terms,
 quite simple in implementation terms (at least INNwise) and would save
 tons of bandwidth and disk space.

  C U!

   -- Mario Valente