ietf-nntp XPAT pat [pat] ?

Eric Cole eric at imagina.com
Mon Apr 21 17:31:56 PDT 1997

I was just reading the XPAT specs.  It states that:

    If there are additional arguments the are joined together
    separated by a single space to form one complete pattern.

Does this mean that you interpret the rest of the line following the
range|<message-id> as a single pattern which may include spaces, or that
you interpret each whitespace seperated word as an independent pattern.  If
it is option B above, does the header line need to match all or any pattern.

I assume it is option A above ( one pattern ) but that is not entirely
clear from the draft.

perhaps something like:

XPAT header range|<message-id> pat

...Any whitespace in the pattern should be assumed to match any whitespace
in the header, such that any one or more whitespace charcters in the
pattern match any one or more whitespace characters in the header .  This
is due to some transport mechanisms tendancy to alter whitespace
characters...

Eric Cole
Imagina, Inc.
eric at imagina.com