ietf-nntp Announce: Mailing list for RFC 1036 update created.

Jack De Winter jack at wildbear.on.ca
Sun Apr 13 09:08:16 PDT 1997

At 07:32 PM 4/12/97 -0500, Harald.T.Alvestrand at uninett.no wrote:
>I'd like group members' (and chairs'!) opinion on whether this is best
>handled as a new working group, or as an extension to the charter of
>the nntp working group after its current work is finished.

First of all, I missed the original post about redoing rfc1036 on a
new list... could someone forward that information to me?

Secondly, I guess it depends on whether or not you consider the message
format part of NNTP.  Is it a NNTP protocol working group or is it a
working group to advance the standards of the news protocol and its
underpinnings (i.e. like Drums is tackling RFC821 (SMTP) and RFC822
(Message format))?

Personally, I would rather see us get 977bis with extension mechanisms
finished, then work on bringing RFC1036 up to date while finishing the
other goals of the working group charter.  If it would require someone
to help push things along, I would volunteer to help as I see getting
a 977bis and a 1036bis along are important.

regards,
Jack

p.s. Any ideas from Stan and Eric on when the new draft will be coming out?