ietf-nntp Re: POST vs IHAVE

Brian Kantor brian at nothing.ucsd.edu
Sun Apr 6 22:53:00 PDT 1997

I'm sorry, I went off on a tangent with the NNTP-Posting-host
header stuff.   The original intent of IHAVE vs POST:

POST is for injection of new articles into the system from
clients for which the measure of trust was somewhat less than full,
so that particular headers could be replaced or supplied if missing.
At the time, we had in mind that the Date, Message-ID, and perhaps
a few more header lines would be supplied by the server and not the
client.

IHAVE is for transferring articles between peers, with trust that
supplied headers were trustworthy (at least, there wasn't anything that
the receiving system could do to make them more so), and if there were
any required headers missing or anything else wrong with the article,
it would be rejected instead of being fixed up.

TAKETHIS came along later (and I didn't have a hand in it), but I
believe it to simply be a form of IHAVE.
	- Brian