nntp-extensions Re: ietf-nntp NNTP SEARCH extension internet-draft available

Nat Ballou natba at ims.microsoft.com
Thu Oct 31 14:26:43 PST 1996

On Thursday, October 31, 1996 12:56 PM, Brian Hernacki wrote:

> Nat Ballou wrote:
> > So, taking a pragmatic approach, the SEARCH that has been proposed
> > for NNTP introduces significant changes to the SEARCH in IMAP.
>
> Which significant changes are you referring to? The ability to search
> mutliple groups/folders?

I'm assuming that we would want virtual mail folders in IMAP to
reflect the virtual newsgroups in your proposal.  Of course, RFC
would have to describe any differences in behavior for IMAP folder
commands.

> I disagree...on several things.
>
> It does not make sense to add the existing IMAP search to NNTP. It lacks
> the ability to search multiple folders...which is needed to be useful
> for news.

Why not add a FOLDERS search criteria to the IMAP Search proposal
that allows you to specify a wildmat string?

Nat