nntp-extensions Re: ietf-nntp NNTP SEARCH extension internet-draft available

Nat Ballou natba at ims.microsoft.com
Thu Oct 31 12:45:26 PST 1996

On Thursday, October 31, 1996 11:50 AM, Mark Krispin Wrote:

> On Thu, 31 Oct 1996 08:01:27 -0800, Brian Kantor wrote:
> > Stan, I think we should continue the NNTP effort.  If some other
> > protocol should become more popular for reading news, whether because
> > of its technical merit or for more prosaic reasons, that does not
> > negate the effort.  I see no reason why there cannot be many mansions
> > in one house; the more there are to choose from [as they say about
> > standards] the more likely people are to find one that suits them
> > best.
>
> This splits the effort into multiple non-interoperable communities, none of
> which enjoy the benefit of the experience and knowledge of all the news
> experts.
>
> I feel that such a result would be unfortunate.

I agree 100%.

So, taking a pragmatic approach, the SEARCH that has been proposed
for NNTP introduces significant changes to the SEARCH in IMAP.

Since IMAP is in final review, it seems to make more sense to add
IMAP search to NNTP than to back fit the proposed NNTP Search into
IMAP.  Seems rather straight forward to me - I'll even write up
the RFC.

Overtime, we can add the features proposed in NNTP SEARCH to both
protocols - or if one wins out over the other, we only have one
protocol to update.

Nat