nntp-extensions Re: ietf-nntp NNTP SEARCH extension internet-draft available

Brian Hernacki bhern at netscape.com
Thu Oct 31 12:34:06 PST 1996

> Because of this, and especially because of #1, I don't think it's
> productive to try to stop further development on NNTP's reading
> capabilities as long as people actively want to pursue it (although I
> hold my own opinions about whether those people are making wise use of
> their time). However, if you go and develop protocol for an IMAP function
> in NNTP, the syntax should be as similar as possible.  There is no
> technical justification to create incompatible mechanisms.
>
> So if you want to add searching, steal IMAP's SEARCH command, and if
> anything is missing, add the new functionality in such a way that it can
> be put in IMAP as well.  If you want to do real authentication, copy
> IMAP's mechanism (SASL).  If you want to do fetching of MIME parts or
> individual headers, copy IMAP's syntax as much as possible.

I agree that when replicating functionality into NNTP that exists in
IMAP we should attempt to keep as similar as practical. I think we did
this reasonably well with the proposed search extension.

However, what about other mechanisms which do not exist in IMAP but
exist or are need in NNTP? NEWGROUPS and (the proposed) LIST
SUBSCRIPTIONS, and LIST MOTD for example?

--brian
Brian Hernacki                 mailto:bhern at netscape.com
Usenet foot-soldier	       Netscape Communications
(setf disclaimer "I speak for myself, not the company")