nntp-extensions Re: ietf-nntp NNTP SEARCH extension internet-draft available

Brian Hernacki bhern at netscape.com
Thu Oct 31 12:28:31 PST 1996

> I think the original point that was made is that NNTP was designed
> originally for news transfer, not reading.  IMAP was designed to handle
> messages, and was focused on mail messages because it seemed like a better
> bet.

People keep saying this, but I think it's outright wrong. From the
earliest days NNTP included reader protocol. Despite it's acronym, it
has been both a transport AND a reader protocol.

> My personal preferences would be to see NNTP set as a transfer protocol
> and IMAP used to read the articles.  NNTP is good for transfering articles,
> but the specs for any of the news reading stuff is poorly done.

As far as I have seen, between RFC977, RFC1036, and the more recent ID
from Stan Barber the protocol (reading and transfer) seem pretty well
covered.

--brian
Brian Hernacki                 mailto:bhern at netscape.com
Usenet foot-soldier	       Netscape Communications
(setf disclaimer "I speak for myself, not the company")