nntp-extensions Re: ietf-nntp NNTP SEARCH extension internet-draft available

Mark Crispin MRC at Panda.COM
Thu Oct 31 11:50:16 PST 1996

On Thu, 31 Oct 1996 08:01:27 -0800, Brian Kantor wrote:
> Stan, I think we should continue the NNTP effort.  If some other
> protocol should become more popular for reading news, whether because
> of its technical merit or for more prosaic reasons, that does not
> negate the effort.  I see no reason why there cannot be many mansions
> in one house; the more there are to choose from [as they say about
> standards] the more likely people are to find one that suits them
> best.

This splits the effort into multiple non-interoperable communities, none of
which enjoy the benefit of the experience and knowledge of all the news
experts.

I feel that such a result would be unfortunate.