nntp-extensions Re: ietf-nntp NNTP SEARCH extension internet-draft available

Keith Moore moore at cs.utk.edu
Thu Oct 31 09:44:51 PST 1996

> I strongly disagree with your analysis.
>
> I think that, for reading news, NOTHING is as proven as NNTP is today.

NNTP works well for what it does, but so does IMAP.
And IMAP has more functionality than NNTP's reader protocol.

Shall we then extend NNTP's reader protocol to have the same
capabilities as IMAP, but in a different and incompatible fashion?
Why?

> NNTP is routinely used to transfer perhaps billions of messages (when
> you consider all the news server machines on the Internet today) daily
> both between server to server and server to client.

I'm not proposing that we deprecate NNTP.  I assume we'd retain NNTP
for server to server transfers, and also to allow reading of news from
pre-existing NNTP clients.  Rather, I'm proposing that we not extend
NNTP's reader protocol, because we already have an adequately
specified protocol that does the job better.

Or if IMAP isn't better than NNTP for reading news, why not?

Keith