nntp-extensions Re: ietf-nntp NNTP SEARCH extension internet-draft available

Nat Ballou natba at ims.microsoft.com
Sat Oct 19 22:54:08 PDT 1996

> From: Rich Salz <rsalz at osf.org>
> To: bhern at netscape.com; ietf-nntp at academ.com; natba at microsoft.com; nntp-extensions at academ.com
> Subject: Re:  nntp-extensions Re: ietf-nntp NNTP SEARCH extension internet-draft available
> Date: Saturday, October 19, 1996 3:36 AM
>
> >Interesting proposal. I have a few questions. If many people access
> >news via IMAP, how does the SEARCH functionality described here
> >get exposed - as IMAP capabilities? Is there another IMAP proposal
> >related to this one?
>
> I don't think it matters what IMAP does.

Would you elaborate?  I was under the impression that it would
be desirable for many clients to use IMAP as a protocol to read
newsgroups.  It would be nice if I could search with the same richness
in IMAP as I can when using NNTP.  The IMAP search is limited to a
single mailbox, but the NNTP Search proposal allows multiple newsgroups.
Do I drop IMAP and switch to NNTP when I want to search multiple groups?
Seems kind of strange to have to tell the IMAP user that one can search
multiple mailboxes for certain mailboxes (news), but not others (mail).
Would this make writing clients more complex?

Nat