ietf-nntp Thoughts on renaming X commands

NetWin Support netwin at world.std.com
Wed Oct 16 08:28:12 PDT 1996

> >the purpose of the doing this work in the first place.
>
> To document existing practice and define a mechanism for future work?

I'd like to add my vote to this concept, the purpose should
be to document existing practice.  Currently its very difficult
producing software that works with any server/reader when there
is no documented standard.  (I remember discovering the xhdr
command by spying on ethernet packets a few years ago)

I think the real problem is the current state of 'x' commands
is a mess, but it cannot be tidied up just by
re-writing the standard and ignoring reality.
The standard must include the current state to
be useful to developers of servers and readers
in the future.

The non 'x' commands can be added, but the common 'x' commands must
also be documented.

Just wanted to register my opinion even if it doesn't do any good.

          ChrisP, NetWin Ltd.

Customer Support
http://netwinsite.com