ietf-nntp Thoughts on renaming X commands

Stan Barber sob at academ.com
Thu Oct 3 12:34:48 PDT 1996

If we document it as XOVER and XPAT, then what is the purpose of having
the "X" command mechanism for non-standard extensions? There is absolutely
no reason why an implementor can't have XOVER and XPAT in a server
that complies with the draft as written.

If you are saying that we need to do this so that all the existing
implementations can claim compliance, then I have to speculate about
the purpose of the doing this work in the first place.

Stan   | Academ Consulting Services        |internet: sob at academ.com
Olan   | For more info on academ, see this |uucp: {mcsun|amdahl}!academ!sob
Barber | URL- http://www.academ.com/academ |Opinions expressed are only mine.