ietf-nntp Initial draft FINALLY available

Brian Kantor brian at nothing.ucsd.edu
Wed Oct 2 16:49:20 PDT 1996

> For one thing, most "sucking feeds" are not legit feeds in the first place,
> but rather people running readers, or pretending to be running readers,
> which are in fact servers.

But not all.  I have in fact supported fully authorised 'sucking' feeds
that were implemented in that way because of various special circumstances.

Because a number (perhaps even a majority) of sites have no use for such
does not in the least invalidate the concept.

As a historical note, the 'sucking' feed was at first the PREFERRED
method when we were designing NNTP.  That it was never implemented
efficiently and with proper access control is its main downfall.

I believe it should remain as an optional but fully-defined command.
	- Brian