ietf-nntp Initial draft FINALLY available

Stan Barber sob at academ.com
Wed Oct 2 12:25:56 PDT 1996

> I agree.  The stated goal is to document existing practice, rather
> than extentions, isn't it?  Is there any reason to beleive that
> AUTHINFO {USER,PASS} isn't the most used method of authentication
> right now?  In what way does this situation differ from the BATCH
> command, which was left out?

AUTHINFO has been part of the NNTP landscape since the beginning of the
decade. BATCH has not. Only now it is finding its way into standard
releases of publically available software.

>From my perspective, the purpose of the extensions draft/RFC is to document
current practices and the purpose of the NNTP draft is to establish some set
of functions as being basic to NNTP and provide a mechanism to make
standardized extensions. One of these standardized extensions could be BATCH
if the proponents of BATCH want to write it up as a standrard extension,
that would be great.

Stan   | Academ Consulting Services        |internet: sob at academ.com
Olan   | For more info on academ, see this |uucp: {mcsun|amdahl}!academ!sob
Barber | URL- http://www.academ.com/academ |Opinions expressed are only mine.