ietf-nntp Initial draft FINALLY available

James Fidell james at corp.netcom.net.uk
Wed Oct 2 00:54:50 PDT 1996

Ben Polk wrote:

> At 02:59 AM 9/30/96 CDT, Stan Barber wrote:
>
> >            12.4 NEWNEWS
>
> Do we have to keep this? It really doesn't work in a practical way in
> some of the widely used NNTP implementations.

I don't believe that it should be removed just because some NNTP
implementations don't support it very well.  NEWNEWS is very commonly
used here in the UK to generate a list of new articles for download and
off-line reading (because of the prohibitive cost of on-line reading).

A number of people have also done work to dramatically improve the
performance of NEWNEWS for exactly this reason.

Are there equivalent alternatives ?

James.
 "Yield to temptation --             | Work: james at corp.netcom.net.uk
  it may not pass your way again"    | Play: james at hermione.demon.co.uk
                                     | http://www.netcom.net.uk/~james/
        - Lazarus Long               |              James Fidell