ietf-nntp Initial draft FINALLY available

Ben Polk bpolk at netscape.com
Tue Oct 1 22:00:00 PDT 1996

At 11:37 PM 10/1/96 CDT, Stan Barber wrote:

>> >9.1 AUTHINFO
>>
>> The AUTHINFO SIMPLE and AUTHINFO GENERIC commands are listed, but not the
>> plain (and widely used) AUTHINFO USER|PASS command.  Is this intentional?
>

>Yes.

Why?  Isn't this what most software is using today?

>> Hmmmm.  A couple of questions.  First, why is this command renamed from
>> XOVER?
>X commands are not part of the spec.

Can we consider explicitly supporting some subset of the X commands
in the spec?  Is the problem with including them in this spec and
prohibiting their use as local extensions an aesthetic one, or is
there some more concrete reason to require everyone to make this
change?

>XHDR is just a subset of XPAT. There is no need for both.

Ok.

>I was thinking that BATCH could be another reference added after the spec
>using the new extension mechanism.

Sounds fine.