Additional searching in NNTP

Stan Barber sob at academ.com
Sun Jun 30 14:59:08 PDT 1996

> Stan Olan Barber <sob at academ.com> wrote:
> >I certaiynly think this work would  be something of interest to folks wanting
> >to add a set of searching capabilities to the NNTP environment. I have
> >had some discussions with folks about this. One possible source of
> >related effort is the work on directory indexing going on in IETF.
>
> Does this mean that the strictly hierarchical arrangement of articles will
> be maintained?

Not necessarily. It's clear that some folks are really interested in
free-text searching and others are interested in more structured
searches.

> >However, this work is clearly towards an extension to NNTP, which is something
> >that will follow the currently proposed work of refining RFC977, adding
> >a mechanism for adding standard extensions and integrating extensions
> >in common use.
>
> This sounds promising, is the work going on in this mailing list or
> somewhere else?  I'd be very interested in learning what ideas are being
> discussed for the next generation of NNTP API.

I am not aware of a list specializing on the topic of the "next generation
NNTP API", whatever that is.

Stan   | Academ Consulting Services        |internet: sob at academ.com
Olan   | For more info on academ, see this |uucp: {mcsun|amdahl}!academ!sob
Barber | URL- http://www.academ.com/academ |Opinions expressed are only mine.