Welcome to ietf-nntp

Stan Barber sob at academ.com
Fri Jun 28 14:42:49 PDT 1996

> >For up-to-date information on the work done by this working group,
> >check this URL: http://www.academ.com/nntp/ietf.html.
> >
> >Archives of this list are available at this URL:
> >	http://www.academ.com/nntp/ietf/index.html or
>
> Neither of these URLs (quoted from the intro page when entering the mailing
> list) seem to work.  I can reach www.academ.com, but I can't reach that HTML
> code page.

The actual URLs are these. I apologize if they were wrong on the slides.

Information on the working group activities are at this url:
	http://www.academ.com/academ/nntp/ietf.html

> Looking at the FTP archive it seems the list just started or no work has
> been done (all I see are 4 test messages), so I'll throw out some ideas
> based on work I am researching.

This list was just created for just this purpose, so it is new.

> So, somewhat out of curiosity and in anticipation for what the next NNTP API
> would allow, instead of laying out the tables to make processing NNTP
> commands quick, I laid them out in a way that would better aid doing various
> kinds of searches (e.g., ``List all the messages by <user> written between
> <date> and <date>'').  There are some things I'd still like to incorporate
> better, (threading information, for instance, is done only by including the
> entire References: header.  To better handle queries asking for articles in
> a certain spot in a thread, it would be better if the server somehow used
> relational pointers to know where in a thread each article belonged) but
> it's interesting work nonetheless.

I certaiynly think this work would  be something of interest to folks wanting
to add a set of searching capabilities to the NNTP environment. I have
had some discussions with folks about this. One possible source of
related effort is the work on directory indexing going on in IETF.

However, this work is clearly towards an extension to NNTP, which is something
that will follow the currently proposed work of refining RFC977, adding
a mechanism for adding standard extensions and integrating extensions
in common use.

Stan   | Academ Consulting Services        |internet: sob at academ.com
Olan   | For more info on academ, see this |uucp: {mcsun|amdahl}!academ!sob
Barber | URL- http://www.academ.com/academ |Opinions expressed are only mine.