New NNTP extensions in INN 1.5?

Ben Polk bpolk at netscape.com
Mon Jul 15 15:07:54 PDT 1996

At 08:38 AM 7/15/96 -0500, you wrote:

>On Mon, 15 Jul 1996, Stan Barber wrote:
>
>> > What new NNTP extensions will there be in INN 1.5?
>> >
>> > When is INN 1.5 expected to be released?
>> >
>> > Jonathan Grobe <grobe at netins.net>
>>
>> While this is an interesting question, this is not a list about the
>> upcoming INN 1.5 release. It is about work towards a RFC 977 bis.
>>
>> This question would be better made in the USENET news groups
>> news.software.nntp.
>>
>I quite disagree. I believe that if new NNTP extensions are included
>INN 1.5 (such as mode streaming?) they should be included in RFC 977 bis.
>I do not think it a good thing for RFC 977 bis to be released and a
>couple months later INN 1.5 comes out with a number of additional
>extensions.

We probably won't go tossing things into the new RFC that are not built
into software that is not available.  I think everyone involved is eager
to work with the ISC guys to make sure that INN 1.5 interoperates
with other software, but I'd say that the way to make that happen is
to get the software working first, and then put the standards together.

This points to the fact that we need to start nailing down the extension
mechanism as soon as we can!  The longer we delay, the more new XFOOBAR
NNTP commands will crop up that will have to be dealt with ad hoc.