New NNTP extensions in INN 1.5?

Paul Southworth pauls at locust.cic.net
Mon Jul 15 06:45:34 PDT 1996

On Mon, 15 Jul 1996, Jonathan Grobe wrote:

> I quite disagree. I believe that if new NNTP extensions are included
> INN 1.5 (such as mode streaming?) they should be included in RFC 977 bis.
> I do not think it a good thing for RFC 977 bis to be released and a
> couple months later INN 1.5 comes out with a number of additional
> extensions.

The ietf-nntp discussion group is open to the INN 1.5 developers, and I
think you can count on the fact that they know about it.  Right now people
are being fairly tight-lipped about INN 1.5, and if the developers wish to
participate here, I'm sure they're welcome to do so.  Until such time,
they're responsible for the software and nobody is going to crowbar the
information out of them if they don't wish to discuss it.  I plan on
blindly trusting that they will speak their piece when they see fit,
especially since there isn't any reasonable alternative.  I suspect that
they're aware there's significant interest in the future of INN (in fact,
they're probably painfully aware of that fact).

--Paul