ietf-nntp Issue: empty groups

Jack De Winter jack at wildbear.on.ca
Tue Dec 31 18:07:28 PST 1996

At 09:03 PM 12/31/96 -0500, Rich Salz wrote:
>>I see your point, but don't 100% agree with it.  Our job, as
>>members of the NNTP-EXT WG is to document common practice and
>>to fix known problems with the existing specification.
>
>One zillion clients and servers, INN (the dominant implementation
>with probably well over 80% of the market) and NNTP-Ref do something,
>and all-but-one-or-two-maybe clients can handle it.
>
>I see no reason to keep this issue open into 1997.

And that is a valid viewpoint for you to have.  However, there
are other viewpoints in the field, and not to respect them is
a tad unpolite.

I implement servers myself, and 'just because so-and-so jumps' is
not a good reason.  I am sure that if something other than 0 0 0
is decided upon for empty groups, the programmers of INN and NNTP-ref
will be able to bring them up to date.

regards,
Jack