ietf-nntp New wording on article numbers

Brian Kantor brian at nothing.ucsd.edu
Mon Dec 30 13:28:03 PST 1996

>I agree that the lo number should never be larger than the high
>number.  No servers produce this situation and no clients are ready to
>handle it.

I believe you'll find that most clients which are derived from
direct-reading (i.e., non-NNTP) are indeed able to cope with it,
as B-news behaved in precisely this way.

I note that the current 'reference NNTP' server returns zeros for both
low and high numbers when a GROUP command selects an empty group.  I
seem to recall that it did not always do so.  Perhaps Erik or Stan can clarify.
	- Brian