ietf-nntp New wording on article numbers

Jack De Winter jack at wildbear.on.ca
Sat Dec 28 18:34:58 PST 1996

At 08:55 PM 12/28/96 +0000, Clive D.W. Feather wrote:
>Jack De Winter said:
>> In that case, could we perhaps make a rule that the last
>> article number is not less than the first article number,
>> except in the case of an empty newsgroup, where the last
>> article number will be one less than the first article
>> number?
>
>I don't know about requiring one less; it seems too restricting. INN
>setting them all to 0 would not be conformant with my wording, which still
>requires the low water mark to not decrease.

Could you give a good reason for not assuming that if there are
no articles, that specifing a first number of <x> and a last number
of <x-1> would be a problem?  We want to accomodate current
implementations, but we also need to make sure that we word things
properly.  At the very least, I would like the wording to explicitly
state what an empty group looks like, what a group with one article,
and what one with many articles look like.  This would ease implementation
for people unfamiliar with the specs.

regards,
Jack