ietf-nntp New wording on article numbers

Jeff Coffler jeff at taltos.com
Sat Dec 28 17:03:27 PST 1996

Hi Clive,

> For my next draft, I've added wording to NEXT saying:
>
>     A server MIGHT, but SHOULD NOT return an article number greater than
>     the "last" value from the most recent GROUP command for this client.
>
> How does this look to people ?

I think this looks just dandy.

It's not that this is a religious issue; it's not.  I just think that, as
defined, a protocol should behave consistently.  By caching the info that
was returned in the last GROUP command, the NNTP protocol COULD *EASILY*
behave consistently as well (it's - quite literally - just two or three
'if' statements).

With the above addition, it's clear that it's "better" to cache the last
GROUP command data and act consistently (but not required to do so).

I have yet to find a client that cares about this, by the way ...

	-- Jeff