ietf-nntp New wording on article numbers

Jon Ribbens jon at oaktree.co.uk
Sat Dec 28 16:36:26 PST 1996

Clive D.W. Feather wrote:
> > Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing a header that states the
> > time it was originally inserted into the news system, say 'Posting-Date',
> > and what time it is posted on my local system, say 'Receive-Date' (or
> > some better name).  I would like to see something that may tell me
> > how old an article is, and if so, why it took so long.
>
> It would be an implementation nightmare to include this in the article
> itself, as many implementations forward articles to peers from the spool;
> therefore it mustn't be placed in the spool copy, but added by the NNTP
> server on retrieval.

We're going backwards in time here, folks... ;-) There used
to be a header, 'Date-Received', which I presume was exactly
what the suggested 'Receive-Date' header above is. 'Date'
already performs the function of 'Posting-Date'.

'Date-Received' was dropped for a reason. I don't know
what that reason was, but I presume it was a good one ;-).

Cheers

Jon
____
\  //    Jon Ribbens    // 10MB virtual-hosted // www.oaktree.co.uk