ietf-nntp New wording on article numbers

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Sat Dec 28 13:59:24 PST 1996

Chris Caputo said:
>>> I suggest that the concept of an arrival timestamp be replaced with
>>> something that says the server is responsible for article ordering,
>> As I said elsewhere, doesn't NEWNEWS expose the arrival timestamp ? If not,
>> the timestamp is not exposed anyway; it's an arbitrary ordering of new
>> articles that numbers have to be consistent against.
> NEWNEWS accepts date/time as a parameter, but it should be up to the
> server software to figure out how to provide the information.  The results
> don't include timestamp information.

I know you can't get the actual arrival time back from the server. However,
the *concept* is important; if NEWNEWS for some date-time returns article B
but not article A in the same newsgroup, then B must have a higher number
than A. I suppose that's the point I'm trying to make.

--
Clive D.W. Feather    | Associate Director  | Director
Tel: +44 181 371 1138 | Demon Internet Ltd. | CityScape Internet Services Ltd.