ietf-nntp New wording on article numbers

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Sat Dec 28 12:57:14 PST 1996

Jack De Winter said:
> Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing a header that states the
> time it was originally inserted into the news system, say 'Posting-Date',
> and what time it is posted on my local system, say 'Receive-Date' (or
> some better name).  I would like to see something that may tell me
> how old an article is, and if so, why it took so long.

It would be an implementation nightmare to include this in the article
itself, as many implementations forward articles to peers from the spool;
therefore it mustn't be placed in the spool copy, but added by the NNTP
server on retrieval.

If there is to be such a facility, it should be out-of-band (part of the
LIST ARTICLES response, or something like that).

--
Clive D.W. Feather    | Associate Director  | Director
Tel: +44 181 371 1138 | Demon Internet Ltd. | CityScape Internet Services Ltd.