ietf-nntp New wording on article numbers

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Sat Dec 28 12:55:24 PST 1996

Jack De Winter said:
>>> Can you give us a legitimate example of when the last article number
>>> might be less than the first number?  If so, is this a good idea?
>> If there are no articles in the group. It's as good an idea
>> as any, I think. The first and last aritcle numbers being
>> equal indicates that there is one article in the group.
>> (Although INN sets last=first=articles=0 if the group is
>> empty.
> In that case, could we perhaps make a rule that the last
> article number is not less than the first article number,
> except in the case of an empty newsgroup, where the last
> article number will be one less than the first article
> number?

I don't know about requiring one less; it seems too restricting. INN
setting them all to 0 would not be conformant with my wording, which still
requires the low water mark to not decrease.

--
Clive D.W. Feather    | Associate Director  | Director
Tel: +44 181 371 1138 | Demon Internet Ltd. | CityScape Internet Services Ltd.