ietf-nntp New wording on article numbers

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Sat Dec 28 12:24:16 PST 1996

Jeff Coffler said:
> I can guarentee consistent behavior
> for commands like LAST, NEXT, and ARTICLE commands (if the "current"
> article number would go out of range of my saved values, then I will
> give an appropriate response code).
>
> Now, we can't require this (since it wasn't in the original spec, and
> since many servers today don't enforce this), but: shouldn't we recommend
> this behavior (so that, at least if recommendations are followed, NNTP
> behavior is nice and consistent across commands)?

For my next draft, I've added wording to NEXT saying:

    A server MIGHT, but SHOULD NOT return an article number greater than
    the "last" value from the most recent GROUP command for this client.

How does this look to people ?

--
Clive D.W. Feather    | Associate Director  | Director
Tel: +44 181 371 1138 | Demon Internet Ltd. | CityScape Internet Services Ltd.