ietf-nntp New wording on article numbers

Jon Ribbens jon at oaktree.co.uk
Sat Dec 28 10:16:47 PST 1996

Jack De Winter wrote:
> >>     The last article number MIGHT be less than the first article number.
> >
> >I don't think that MIGHT should be in capitals.
>
> Can you give us a legitimate example of when the last article number
> might be less than the first number?  If so, is this a good idea?

If there are no articles in the group. It's as good an idea
as any, I think. The first and last aritcle numbers being
equal indicates that there is one article in the group.
(Although INN sets last=first=articles=0 if the group is
empty. Actually, I think I prefer the last<first method.
I don't know what deployed clients do though.)

Cheers

Jon
____
\  //    Jon Ribbens    // 10MB virtual-hosted // www.oaktree.co.uk