ietf-nntp New wording on article numbers

Jon Ribbens jon at oaktree.co.uk
Sat Dec 28 09:54:08 PST 1996

William H. Magill wrote:
> Penn runs INN on an AXP 2100 under Digital Unix, so I'm all for 64 bits!
>         (http://www.upenn.edu/dccs/news/faq/faq-conf-server.html)

I'm not ;-). It's unnecessary and causes problems on 32-bit machines.

> As for 1 article per second - we passed that mark almost 2 years ago.
> We cleared 1.1 article per second back in April of 95.

In a single group!? Remember, article numbers are individual to each
newsgroup. The only group which could possibly have a problem would
be control.cancel, and I don't really think it matters if that group
rolls over.

Cheers

Jon
____