ietf-nntp My notes from the NNTP WG meeting at the 37thIETF

Jack De Winter jack at wildbear.on.ca
Fri Dec 20 13:38:15 PST 1996

At 01:02 PM 12/20/96 -0800, Chris Newman wrote:
>On Fri, 20 Dec 1996, Rich Salz wrote:
>Personally, I think AUTHINFO GENERIC should either be dropped from the
>core draft, or replaced with SASL in the core draft.  The last thing we
>need is two plug-in auth/encrypt modules when one is already deployed
>(albeit not for NNTP).

This is the line of reasoning that I am following.  My concern here
is the 2 implementation rules and backwards compatability with other
implementations that may be doing something with the AUTHINFO GENERIC
at the moment.

regards,
Jack

p.s. What would be the best way of showing a list of the valid
 authentication types in NNTP?  LIST AUTHINFO?  AUTHINFO LIST?