ietf-nntp BCP for RFC977 server/RFC1036 interaction

Nat Ballou NatBa at MICROSOFT.com
Fri Dec 20 11:46:17 PST 1996

> From: Chris Lewis <clewis at nortel.ca>
> To: rsalz at osf.org
> Cc: ietf-nntp at academ.com
> Subject: Re: ietf-nntp BCP for RFC977 server/RFC1036 interaction
> Date: Thursday, December 19, 1996 9:00 AM
>
> [...]
>
> 	In the real world even the best possible value isn't always a
> 	usable email address.  The intent here is that the Sender:
> 	should be a valid email address for the originator if available.
> 	In most cases, a full authentication mechanism (such as via
> 	AUTHINFO GENERIC querying a user database) will often be able to
> 	construct a usable email address.

What exactly do you mean by 'usable'?  If you only mean correct syntax,
then I see no value to this discussion.  If you mean it corresponds
to the mailbox of the person being authenticated, then I would claim
your statement here is false - most authentication schemes do not
have the ability to find the 'right' email domain of the user being
authenticated.

Nat