ietf-nntp My notes from the NNTP WG meeting at the 37th IETF

Nat Ballou NatBa at MICROSOFT.com
Thu Dec 19 08:28:08 PST 1996

> From: Brian Kantor <brian at nothing.ucsd.edu>
> To: Chris.Newman at INNOSOFT.COM; moore at cs.utk.edu
> Cc: ietf-nntp at academ.com
> Subject: Re: ietf-nntp My notes from the NNTP WG meeting at the 37th IETF
> Date: Thursday, December 19, 1996 7:07 AM
>
> Gentlemen,
>
> Please do not forget that AUTHINFO USER does NOT REQUIRE A PASSWORD.
>
> I originally added it to facilitate gathering of readership statistics,
> and in that application, it needed only supply the username.
>
> While AUTHINFO may be used to control access, that is not its only use.

While that might have been the intent, I believe every implementation
requires an AUTHINFO PASS after an AUTHINFO USER.  I may be wrong here
- but if I'm right, I'd rather RFC977 driven by current practices rather
than intentions.

So - are there any implementations that accept AUTHINFO USER without an
AUTHINFO PASS?

Nat