ietf-nntp Backfill

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Wed Dec 18 07:59:40 PST 1996

Rich Salz said:
> I believe that everyone "just knew" that article numbers were just
> monotonically increasing.  If this is no longer clear to implementors,
> then the RFC must be fixed.

It appears to me that the consensus is that backfilling shouldn't be
allowed, no matter what the current situation may be.

I'll volunteer to write wording for the next draft to clear up the issues
of article numbering and appearing/disappearing articles.

--
Clive D.W. Feather    | Associate Director  | Director
Tel: +44 181 371 1138 | Demon Internet Ltd. | CityScape Internet Services Ltd.