ietf-nntp My notes from the NNTP WG meeting at the 37th IETF

Brian Hernacki bhern at netscape.com
Tue Dec 17 14:53:10 PST 1996

> In addition, I think this group needs to face the i18n problem and solve
> it, as painful as that may be.

As attractive as solving i18n in NNTP is, I don't think it's in the
scope of our charter. RFC977 is pretty clear on what it expects and
handles in terms of charsets, etc. Adding functionality for charset
support to 977bis or changing the way the existing base protocol works
is not what this group is suppose to do.

2.2.  Character Codes

   Commands and replies are composed of characters from the ASCII
   character set.  When the transport service provides an 8-bit byte
   (octet) transmission channel, each 7-bit character is transmitted
   right justified in an octet with the high order bit cleared to zero.

--brian